With the STEVAL-IDS002V1, STMicroelectronics has created a complete, fully configurable reference design for a wireless sensor node powered by a Photovoltaic (PV) module.
The STEVAL-IDS002V1 is made up of a transmitter board which contains the SPIRIT1, an ST transceiver which operates at frequency ranges below 1GHz, and an STM32L151 low-power microcontroller which controls the configuration of the sensors and data communication.
All three sensors are connected to the STM32L151 via an I2C bus. The board’s power supply is provided by the SPV1050, an energy-harvesting power-management unit which charges the on-board battery and regulates the voltage feed to the entire sensor node.
The system has a receiver companion powered through a USB cable by a PC. The reference design kit is supported by a user-friendly GUI, which can display:
• the electrical characteristics of the PV module and battery
• the conversion efficiency
• the current flow from the PV module to the battery
• the accuracy of the Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) algorithm implemented by the SPV1050 readings from the sensors.
- MPPT programmable by external resistor configuration
- Battery over-voltage and under-voltage protection
- Battery Connected and Battery Charging indication pins
- Two embedded LDOs
- IoT devices
- Wearable devices
- Fitness monitoring equipment
Orderable Part Number: STEVAL-IDS002V1