Cypress Semiconductor has upgraded its PSoC® 4 Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) and Programmable Radio-on-Chip (PRoC™) BLE products to the latest 4.2 version of the Bluetooth Smart standard, to enable users to create faster, smarter and more secure products.
The CYBL11x7x PRoC BLE is a low-power Bluetooth Smart microcontroller which includes Cypress’s CapSense® capacitive touch-sensing functionality. The CY8C4xx8-BL5xx PSoC 4 BLE offers greater design flexibility, adding intelligent analogue and programmable digital blocks which make it simpler to interface to sensors and actuators. Both solutions include a Bluetooth Smart radio and a low-power 32-bit ARM® Cortex®-M0 core.
The new PSoC 4 BLE and PRoC BLE have gained full-featured Bluetooth 4.2 qualification. The new Bluetooth 4.2 standard offers three key benefits for manufacturers and users of Internet of Things devices:
- Data-length extension – an increased payload from 27bytes to 251bytes enables a higher maximum data rate of 800kbits/s, 2.5 times faster than Bluetooth 4.1
- LE Privacy – upgraded privacy features which allow a user to designate trusted transmission sources and to prevent tracking more effectively
- LE Secure Connections – enhanced user security during connection set-up to prevent passive eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks.
The higher throughput provided by the new PSoC 4 BLE and PRoC BLE products allows OEMs to develop new capabilities such as multi-channel audio transmissions over BLE, or to perform much faster over-the-air firmware upgrades. The devices can also ensure user privacy in medical and wearable devices, and the improved security features help designers to implement IoT applications such as secure locks and payments.
Cypress has simplified the Bluetooth Low Energy protocol stack and profile configuration into a new royalty-free, GUI-based BLE Component – a free embedded IC within PSoC represented by an icon – which can be dragged and dropped into designs using Cypress’s PSoC Creator™ integrated design environment.
The new offerings are pin-to-pin compatible with Cypress’s existing portfolio of BLE solutions.
- 256kbytes of Flash memory
- 32kbytes of SRAM
- Direct memory access capability
- 36 GPIOs, with capacitive sensing
- Customisable serial communication blocks, LCD drivers, timers, counters and PWMs
- 12-bit SAR ADC, op amps and comparator
- CapSense® capacitive sensing
- IoT devices
- Wearable devices
- Home automation equipment
- Remote controls
- PC and tablet peripherals
- Wireless beacons
- Access control equipment
- Smart card and payment systems
The Bluetooth Low Energy 4.2-Compliant Pioneer Kit consists of a BLE Pioneer baseboard loaded with a CY8CKIT-143A PSoC 4 BLE module, a CY5676A PRoC BLE module and CY5677 CySmart Bluetooth Low Energy 4.2 USB dongle.
It also includes a quick-start guide, a USB A-to-Mini-B cable, four jumper wires, two proximity sensor wires and a 3V CR2032 coin cell.
Orderable Part Number: CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A