The SmartFusion2 series from Microsemi are System-on-Chip (SoC) FPGAs which include a complete microcontroller sub-system based on an ARM® Cortex®-M3 processor core and an extensive peripheral set including CAN and USB interfaces.
The FPGA is ideal for general-purpose functions such as Gigabit Ethernet or dual-PCI Express control planes, bridging, I/O expansion and conversion, video and image processing, system management and secure connectivity.
It offers a number of advantages, including:
- low power consumption – typical stand-by power is just 7mW
- proven security – use of the SmartFusion2 offers protection from the threats to OEMs’ intellectual property posed by cloning and over-building
- high reliability – the devices are commonly used in safety- and mission-critical systems
The SmartFusion2 SoC FPGAs have between 5,000 and 150,000 logic elements alongside the ARM Cortex-M3 core, which runs at 166MHz. They also provide a 16-channel, 5Gbits/s serialiser/deserialiser.
Advanced security features implemented in the DPA-hardened SmartFusion2 FPGA include AES-256 and SHA-256 encryption, and on-demand data integrity checking in nonvolatile memory.
- 5Mbits SRAM
- 4Mbits non-volatile memory
- 667Mbits/s DDR2/3 controllers
- Integrated DSP processing blocks
- Communications equipment
- Industrial products
- Medical devices
- Defence equipment
- Aviation and avionics