It conforms to the USB PD and Type-C specifications, and provides configuration options which enable OEMs to bridge over the initial period of USB Type-C adoption, during which users might face interoperability and compliance problems in implementing platform product designs.
The PTN5100D provides a USB Type-C configuration channel interface and USB PD physical and protocol-layer functions to a System PD Port Policy Controller. It enables designers to implement systems with PD functionality in either consumer-only mode or consumer/provider mode.
When initiated, it is programmed to operate as a Type-C Upstream Facing Port (UFP). It can also work alongside the PD policy controller to operate as a Downstream Facing Port (DFP) or Dual Role Port (DRP). The PTN5100D can operate from either the system power supply, or directly from the USB power supply bus.
The device may be interfaced with either an I²C or a serial peripheral interface. It is housed in a small Quad Flat No-lead (QFN) package measuring 4mm x 4mm x 0.5mm.
- PC accessories and peripherals
- Docking stations
- Mobile monitors
- Multi-function monitors
- Portable and external hard drives
- Reverse-current protection on all pins when the PTN5100D is unpowered
- Power supply bus pins tolerate up to 28V
- Dedicated I/O pin for indicating cable/plug orientation
- Supplies up to 30mA to policy controller
- Operating-temperature range: -20°C to 105°C