STMicroelectronics has released entry-level, mid-range and high-end development boards for the latest members of its STM32F7 microcontroller series, which feature up to 2Mbytes of on-chip Flash memory and peripherals which help designers to create rich user interfaces.
The new development tools include a low-cost STM32 Nucleo-144 board featuring the STM32F767 part. Also available is a Discovery Kit for the STM32F769, which provides support for a TFT-LCD screen and the MIPI®-DSI interface.
In addition, there are feature-rich evaluation boards for the STM32F769 and for the STM32F779, which has a cryptographic accelerator for applications which require superior security functionality.
The evaluation boards and Discovery Kit are supplied with a 4” QWVGA 800×400 MIPI-DSI display featuring a capacitive touchscreen.
Developers using the STM32F7 hardware platforms can take advantage of extensive software support, including the STM32CubeMX
initialisation tool and STM32CubeF7 embedded software package. This consists of a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and middleware components such as the FreeRTOS real-time operating system, USB library, and lightweight IP (lwIP) open-source TCP/IP stack.
By using the STM32F7 ecosystem, developers will for the first time be able to create MCU applications with sophisticated user interfaces that would previously have required the resources of a microprocessor. The STM32F7 MCUs, which are based on a 216MHz ARM® Cortex®-M7 core with double-precision floating-point unit and DSP instructions, combine enhanced graphics capabilities with extensive connectivity capabilities.
These include in particular:
• ST’s Chrom-ART AcceleratorTM and a hardware JPEG accelerator for high-speed graphics rendering
• STemWin professional graphics library and development tools
- Support for USB2.0 OTG
- CAN2.0 port and Ethernet with IEEE 1588 time stamping
- HDMI consumer electronics control
- Camera interface
- Dual-mode Quad-SPI interface to high-speed off-chip memory
- Multiple 16- and 32-bit timers
- 12-bit 2Msamples/s ADCs
- 12-bit DACs
- I2S serial interface
- Digital filters for a sigma-delta modulator
- S/PDIF receiver
- End-products requiring high-performance graphics or a sophisticated GUI