Microsemi’s SmartFusion®2 Security Evaluation Kit provides a hardware platform for developing secure embedded systems, offering best-in-class solutions for both design security, to protect the intellectual property of a manufactured product, and for data security, to protect application data.
The kit is based on Microsemi’s SmartFusion2 System-on-Chip (SoC) FPGA, which integrates an inherently reliable Flash-based FPGA fabric, a 166MHz ARM® Cortex®-M3 processor core, advanced data-security features, DSP blocks, SRAM, non-volatile memory and high- performance communications interfaces.
The FPGA on the kit’s board is a large device which features 90,000 logic elements, to make it easy to develop PCI Express® and Gigabit Ethernet-based systems while retaining the capacity to host large IP blocks to complement the design.
The board is compatible with the specifications of the small form-factor PCIe standard, allowing for quick prototyping and evaluation using any desktop PC or laptop with a PCIe slot.
Designers may use the kit to:
- Evaluate the data-security features of SmartFusion2 FPGAs including Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC), the physically unclonable function, random number generator, AES/SHA encryption, and anti-tamper protection
- Develop and test PCI Express Gen2 single-lane designs
- Test the signal quality of the FPGA transceiver using full-duplex SERDES SMA pairs
- Measure the low power consumption of the SmartFusion2 SoC FPGA
- Quickly create a working PCIe link with the PCIe control plane demonstration supplied by Microsemi
The kit is supplied with a free one-year platinum licence for the Libero® SoC software tool set. Designers can use Libero to evaluate the reference designs available with the kit.
- 64Mbit SPI Flash memory
- 512Mbit low-power DDR DRAM
- Four SMA connectors for testing of full-duplex SERDES channel
- RJ45 interface for 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- JTAG/SPI programming interface
- Headers for I2C and serial peripheral interfaces and GPIOs
- Push-button switches and LEDs for demonstration purposes
- Current-measurement test points
- Communications equipment
- Defence equipment
- Automotive systems
- Industrial products