STMicroelectronics’ S2-LP is an ultra low-power RF transceiver intended for RF wireless applications operating at frequencies below 1GHz.
It is suitable for use in the licence-free ISM and Short-Range Devices (SRD) frequency bands at 433MHz, 868MHz and 920MHz, but can also be programmed to operate at other frequencies in the 430-470MHz or 860- 940MHz bands.
The S2-LP is ideal for use in power- constrained products such as wireless alarm systems: it draws just 7mA when receiving, and 10mA when transmitting at an output power of +10dBm. It also has a very efficient power-management circuit. An integrated switching regulator provides for operation from a 1.8V to 3.6V input at a power-conversion efficiency of 90%, making it suitable for use in battery-powered devices.
The S2-LP supports a variety of signal modulation schemes: Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying (GFSK), On-Off Keying (OOK) and Amplitude Shift Keying (ASK). The data rate of the device’s RF transmissions is programmable in a range from 300bits/s to 500kbits/s.
The S2-LP can be used in systems with channel spacing of 12.5kHz/25kHz, supporting narrowband operation.
The S2-LP offers an RF link budget of more than 140dB, providing for long-range communication in many applications. It meets the regulatory requirements applicable in territories worldwide, including Europe, Japan, China and the US.
- -130dBm receiver sensitivity
- Excellent blocking
- Programmable RF output power up to 16dBm
- Programmable digital filter at receiver
- Battery indicator and low-battery detector
- Automatic packet acknowledgment and retransmission
- Antenna diversity algorithm
- Flexible packet length with dynamic payload length
- Supports Wireless M-Bus protocol
- Enables operation in SIGFOXTM networks
- IoT devices
- Smart metering
- Home energy-management systems
- Wireless alarm systems
- Smart home systems
- Building automation equipment
- Industrial monitoring and control
- Smart lighting systems