ams has introduced an integrated colour-point sensor IC which provides dramatically improved accuracy and stability compared to conventional RGB colour sensors while cutting bill-of-materials and production costs for manufacturers of handheld colour analysis instruments.
The new AS7261 JENCOLOR® XYZ sensor is a complete platform for colour sensing, which eases design-in and simplifies production processes for manufacturers of professional or consumer colorimeters and colour analysers. Capabilities include:
- CCT and full-colour sensor which provides direct XYZ colour co-ordinates consistent with the CIE 1931 2° Standard Observer framework. It also maps the XYZ co-ordinates to the x, y (Y) of the two- dimensional colour gamut and scales them to the CIE 1976 u’v’ co-ordinate system
- multi-channel filter set integrated at the silicon wafer level, providing Dark, Clear and Near-Infrared channels as well as the XYZ colour-sensing channels
- calibrated CCT and duv, plus x y, u’v’ and direct sensor-count outputs accessible via I2C or UART interfaces
- programmable LED driver for electronic shutter control and synchronisation
- aperture with integrated lensing built into the device’s 4.5mm x 4.7mm LGA package, providing a ±20.5° field of view for high sensing accuracy
- selectable register-based I2C or UART interface with simple text-based command set enabling a host microcontroller or processor to configure operation of the device
The measurements of white light made by the AS7261 are typically accurate to ±0.002 du’v’ on the CIE 1976 scale. This high performance is comparable to that of discrete or chip-scale colour sensors costing many times more, and is maintained thanks to the durable and stable silicon filter set integrated onto the sensor die.
The multi-spectral sensing range of products from ams also includes:
- the AS7262, a cost-effective six-channel multi-spectral sensor which operates at visible wavelengths from approximately 430nm to 670nm. It features an integrated LED driver with programmable current for electronic shutter applications.
- the AS7263, a digital six-channel spectrometer for spectral identification in the near IR light wavelengths. AS7263 has six independent optical filters for near IR wavelengths from approximately 600nm to 870nm. The AS7263 also has an integrated LED driver.
- 3.3V supply voltage
- 5mA maximum operating current
- 16-bit ADC
- Operating-temperature range: -40°C to 85°C
- Paint or fabric colour matching
- Fluid colour analysis
- Display management
- Light metering
- Portable spectrometry and colour analysis