The BD71815AGW from ROHM Semiconductor is a Power Management IC (PMIC) which provides in a single chip a comprehensive set of power rails for battery-powered devices based on a single- or dual- core processor such as the i.MX 6SLL, i.MX 7Solo or i.MX 7Dual from NXP Semiconductors.
The chip provides numerous regulated power outputs from its 4mm x 4mm ball-grid array chip-scale package. It includes:
• Five 6MHz buck converters, two of which feature dynamic voltage scaling
• Eight LDOs, including three general-purpose LDOs providing two 100mA and one 50mA output
• 1S JEITA-compliant linear single-cell battery charger which provides a 500mA output and includes a 30V over-voltage protection function
• A 24V boost converter providing a 25mA LED driver output
The BD71815AGW also integrates various peripheral functions, including a real-time clock, a 32kHz crystal oscillator and a general- purpose output. A coulomb counter based
on a 15-bit sigma-delta ADC enables the BD71815AGW to implement battery fuel-gauging.
The IC’s buck converters can supply power not only to the applications processor but also to peripherals such as DRAM scratchpad memory, wireless modules and touch controllers. These regulators can operate in either PFM or PWM mode to maintain high efficiency over a wide range of loads. Their high 6MHz switching frequency enables the use of small, cheap inductors and capacitors.
- Power-path management for DC input and battery
- Highly configurable and software programmable
- Battery monitoring and alarm output
- LED indicator to signal status of battery charger
- I2C interface
- Media players
- Portable industrial instruments
- Handheld payment terminals
- Wearable devices
- Smart home devices