The i.MX RT1050 is the first in a series of ‘crossover processors’, which bridges the gap between traditional microcontrollers and i.MX applications processors, giving MCU users
a means to gain valuable performance and integration improvements without sacrificing the ease-of-use of an MCU operating environment.
Crossover processors are built using an applications processor’s chassis, and offer a high level of integration, high-speed peripherals, enhanced security, and dedicated engines for an enhanced user experience, such as 2D and 3D graphics. But unlike a pure applications processor, they are powered by a low-power MCU core running a Real-Time Operating System (RTOS).
A crossover processor therefore helps designers who use an MCU to move up to an applications processor level of performance while staying with their current tool chain, and potentially avoiding the time, cost and complexity involved in adding a Linux or other high-level operating system to their product design cycle.
The i.MX RT1050 provides high-performance real-time processing through its ARM® Cortex®-M7 core operating at up to 600MHz: 50% faster than current Cortex-M7 cores. Interrupt latency is just 20ns, and the chip provides up to 512kbytes of tightly-coupled memory.
Integrated features include an AES-128 encryption engine, a 2D graphics acceleration engine, a parallel camera sensor interface, a WXGA LCD controller, and an audio interface with three I2S channels.
- Supports Keil and IAR toolchains
- Backed by NXP’s MCUXpresso software development kit and configuration tools
- Supports ARM’s mbed ecosystem
- Single-voltage input for simple power system design
- Fast Ethernet media access controller
- Two Hi-Speed USB2.0 controllers and PHYs
- Audio sub-systems such as professional microphones, guitar pedals
- Smart appliances
- Home and building automation
- Programmable logic controllers
- Factory automation equipment
- Test and measurement instruments
- Motor control and power conversion
The MIMXRT1050-EVK development board includes 256Mbits of SDRAM memory, 512Mbits of HyperFlash, a footprint for QSPI Flash and a socket for an SD card. It also features a parallel LCD connector, camera connector and an audio codec. Alongside the i.MX RT board, users can also request the RK043FN02H-CT, a 4.3″ TFT LCD with LED backlighting and capacitive touch panel.
Orderable Part Numbers:
MIMXRT1050-EVK (Board), RK043FN02H-CT (Display)