STMicroelectronics provides a combination of MEMS motion-sensor hardware devices backed by motion-sensing firmware to enable designers of sophisticated graphics-based user interfaces to quickly and easily implement automatic display orientation, fall detection and other functions.
These motion-sensing applications for displays and user interfaces may be implemented with ST MEMS hardware devices such as the LSM6DSL or LIS2MDL. The LSM6DSL is a system-in-package featuring a 3D digital accelerometer and a 3D digital gyroscope for six-axis motion sensing. Drawing just 0.65mA in high-performance mode, it supports low-power always-on motion sensing.
The LIS2MDL is an ultra-low power, three-axis digital magnetic sensor. It has a magnetic field dynamic range of ±50 gauss.
Both these MEMS motion sensors are backed by the X-CUBE-MEMS1 expansion software package for the STM32Cube tool suite. The software runs on STM32 microcontrollers and includes drivers which recognise the sensors and collect motion data from the LSM6DSL or LIS2MDL devices.
The software comes with a sample implementation of the drivers running on the X-NUCLEO-IKS01A1 or X-NUCLEO-IKS01A2 MEMS motion and environmental sensing expansion boards connected to a NUCLEO-F401RE, NUCLEO-L053R8, NUCLEO-L152RE or NUCLEO-L476RG development board.
The software provides advanced motion libraries for a wide variety of motion-sensing functions, together with sample applications available only for the NUCLEO-F401RE and NUCLEO-L476RG boards.
- Libraries of motion-sensing applications:
• MotionAC: accelerometer calibration
• MotionAR: activity recognition
• MotionAT: active time
• MotionAW: activity recognition for wrist-worn devices
• MotionCP: carrying position
• MotionEC: eCompass
• MotionFA: fitness activities
• MotionFD: fall detection
• MotionFX: sensor fusion
• MotionGC: gyroscope calibration
• MotionGR: gesture recognition
• MotionID: intensity detection
• MotionMC: magnetometer calibration
• MotionPE: pose estimation
• MotionPM: pedometer body
• MotionPW: pedometer wrist
• MotionSD: standing and sitting desk detection
• MotionTL: tilt sensing
- Consumer devices
- Industrial equipment
Orderable Part Numbers (Expansion Boards):
X-NUCLEO-IKS01A1 and X-NUCLEO-IKS01A2